Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Inspiring Success Story: Travis Colby Takes Off, Helping Boeing Build Its New Planes

"I would like to thank you for your interest in me, and my family's future, in my new career," ~ Travis Colby, Welding and Machine Shop graduate

Travis Colby demonstrates some of the new CNC
Machine Equipment in LCC's Machine Shop
Travis Colby is grateful, and excited about his new job at The Boeing Company’s Auburn plant. Starting today (Jan. 6), he makes parts for an eagerly anticipated new plane—a union job that starts at $19.75 per hour.

Boeing Recruiting
Boeing executives visited LCC in October to discuss the company’s training needs with our faculty, and brief students on the aerospace industry and how to use Boeing’s Human Resources website.

Travis attended, and handed his résumé and cover letter to Harris Sullivan, Human Resources Manager for the Fabrication Division, Commercial Airplanes. Sullivan called him from his car on the way back, recommending a couple jobs for which he was qualified. “I have my English 110 instructor, Gary Meyer, to thank for knowledge I put to good use designing my résumé,” says Colby.

Machine Trades Instructor Kam Todd reports that several other LCC students are right behind Colby in the Boeing job queue.

Machine Shop Instructor Kam Todd shows some of the
College's CNC milling equipment to Harris Sullivan, Human
Resources Manager for the Fabrication Division,
Commercial Airplanes, The Boeing Company.
Lay-Off Proofing
Colby came to LCC after being laid off from his job at a rock crushing plant, hoping that strong credentials would make him less susceptible to layoffs.

He had experience welding, fixing equipment, and moved quickly into LCC’s Welding program. As a part-time student employee, he helped out in the Welding Shop and worked for LCC Campus Services.  “I’d like to thank the LCC Maintenance Crew for the maintenance knowledge they shared with me, and my new supervisor there, Ken Noble, for his strong leadership and down-to-earth attitude toward his employees. I will never forget any of them.”

After finishing his Associate in Applied Arts Degree in Welding, Colby continued at LCC, working toward his degree in Machine Trades. He’ll finish that degree Winter Quarter, with work experience credit for his new job. He held a 3.9 GPA, graduating with highest honors.

"Travis was and will continue to be a good learner," said LCC Welding instructor Randy Byrum. "Boeing hired a fine man."

Grateful Heart
“Randy (Byrum) and Kam (Todd) have the type of character I will always strive to instill in myself,” Colby wrote in a December letter of thanks. “They will always be in my life one way or another.”

Colby also thanked the Financial Aid staff, writing: “I just wanted to thank Betty (Sjoblom), Ronda (Manick), Marisa (Greear), and everyone in the Financial Aid Office for everything you have done for me and my family while I attended LCC. You all have done a wonderful job in a very tough department.

“I will do my best to keep in contact with you and give you reports on how things are going at Boeing.  LCC students are lucky to have such a hard-working and dedicated team pulling for those who want to succeed.”

1 comment:

Yolanda Colby said...

I agree completely! GOOD JOB LCC STAFF AND STUDENTS! LCC has been my familys foundation to begin a life full of promises and success. Every staff member is supportive and positive this provides individuals like me a drive to continue my goals of accomplishment. LCC is a community college that is filled with a motivational atomsphere. Thank you again LCC staff!

Yolanda Colby- miss all of you!